- 1 whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds, trimmed of excess fat
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put a cast-iron skillet on a low rack in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Rub the chicken all over with the oil and sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper.
2. When the oven and skillet are hot, carefully put the chicken in the skillet, breast side up. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh reads 155 to 165 degrees.
3. Tip the pan to let the juices flow from the chicken’s cavity into the pan. Transfer the chicken to a platter and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Carve and serve.
recipe found on Heartland Bulgar Wheat box or dailyunadventuresincooking.com
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10 strands of saffron
2 oz of toasted ground almonds
3 cups of chicken broth
3 tbsp dry sherry
salt and pepper
2 tbsp chopped almonds
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Melt butter in a heavy soup pot over low heat. Add onions and garlic, stir to distribute butter evenly, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Onions should be soft and golden yellow in color. Add saffron strands and cook uncovered for 3 minutes. Add ground almonds and stirring constantly cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Pour in stock and sherry and season with pepper and salt. Bring soup to a boil and lower to a simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Process soup in a blender in batches, return to pot and and reheat slowly.
4. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped almonds, parley and a few saffron strings.
4. Butternut Squash Soup
2 tbsp butter
1 med onion
1 large celery stock
1 large carrot
2 med yukon gold potatoes
1 med butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
32 oz of MSG free chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1. Heat butter in a soup pot and add onion, celery and carrot. Cook down veggies for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes, squash and chicken stock, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, cover an cook for 40 minutes or until squash has softened.
2. Process soup in blender, return to pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into individual bowls, top with freshly ground nutmeg and serve immediately.